Request Your Tour
- Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Day Trips
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Food and Wine Experience
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Tours
- Colosseum Tours
- Cooking Classes for Kids in Rome
- Cooking Classes in Rome
- Culinary Experiences
- Day trips from Rome
- Florence Day Trips
- Florence Small Group Tours
- Florence tours
- Food and Wine Experiences in Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
- Food and Wine Experiences in Florence
- Food and Wine Experiences in Florence
- Food and Wine Experiences in Puglia and Matera
- Food and wine experiences in Rome
- Food and Wine Experiences in Venice
- Galleries and Museums of Rome
- Italy Tours
- Milan and Lake Como Tours
- Most Popular Tours
- New Tours
- Other Destinations
- Pope's Farm Tours
- Puglia and Matera
- Puglia and Matera food and Wine Tours
- Puglia and Matera Tours
- Rome Catacombs Tours
- Rome culinary experiences
- Rome Driving Tours
- Rome Guided Tours
- Rome Jewish Tours
- Rome Kids & Families Experiences
- Rome Kids and Families Tours
- Rome on Wheels
- Rome Private Tours
- Rome Shore Excursions
- Rome Small Group Tours
- Rome Tours
- Sicily and Pantelleria Food and Wine Tours
- Sicily and Pantelleria Tours
- Special Tours of Rome
- Vatican Jewish Tours
- Vatican Kids and Families Tours
- Vatican Small Group Tours
- Vatican Tours
- Venice Day Trips
- Venice Driving Tours
- Venice Food and Wine Tours
- Venice Kids & Families Experiences
- Venice Kids and Families Tours
- Venice Tours
- Rome’s Carnival: From Ancient to Modern Times16 February, 2023
- Rome's Budding Street Art Scene25 January, 2023
- The Life and Reign of Emperor Claudius19 January, 2023
- Rome’s Carnival: From Ancient to Modern Times
For More Information(0039) 338 7791615
Mon - Sat / 08:30 AM - 8:30 PM
Why Choose It?
- Access restricted areas of the Colosseum normally closed to the public.
- Unlock the trap doors and passageways of the Colosseum Underground.
- Journey through time as you explore the Roman Forum.
- Experience all this and more in a small, intimate group and with a maximum of 5 guests.
Journey through the ages as you explore ancient Rome, descending to the depths of the Colosseum Underground and following in the footsteps of the Caesars along the cobbles of the Roman Forum. Your exclusive VIP access gets you straight inside the Colosseum, avoiding the multitudes of crowds that first thronged its entrance nearly 2,000 years ago.
Your small, intimate group (max 5 guests) will fully explore this iconic amphitheater, discovering its forgotten secrets as your expert guide breathes fresh life into it. After touring the Colosseum’s upper level and eerily atmospheric underground, you’ll cross over to the Roman Forum – the ancient epicenter of Roman public life, and a remarkably preserved theme park of temples, basilicas, and historically infused monuments. Finally, absorb the stunning sight of where it all began, the Palatine Hill.
Step inside the Colosseum as you leave the modern city behind
We start our Colosseum Underground tour by exploring the monument from above. Gaze down on the arena floor as your guide recounts the captivating history of the amphitheater’s construction. Learn what stood on this site before: part of the emperor Nero’s sprawling Golden Palace, a luxurious complex complete with an artificial lake and acres of woodland where animals ran wild.
Discover what drove the Romans to build such a monument as you learn how they funded it and at whose expense. You’ll come across the answer later in your tour, as you make your way into the Roman Forum. But the story of the Colosseum’s inception is as gripping as that of its construction. For the mighty monument in which you stand took fewer than 10 years to complete from beginning to end.
Your guide will paint images of the scenes that took place on the sands below. The Colosseum’s inaugural games saw the slaughter of thousands of wild beasts, procured from all over the Empire. Discover the brutal events that took place here – not just the gladiatorial contests but also wild-animal hunts, battle re-enactments, and visceral executions of Rome’s condemned criminals.
Descend into the depths of the Colosseum Underground
We then make our way into the bowels of this colossal ancient amphitheater. Explore its network of underground tunnels, uncovering the backstage magic used to create the Colosseum’s gladiator clashes. Ridley Scott’s movie does some justice to the scale of special effects and stage props the Romans had at their disposal. But did you know that as well as land-battles and gladiatorial contests, they also flooded the Colosseum to recreate naval battles on water?
Journey along the atmospheric corridors of the Colosseum Underground, still coated in bright white travertine – just as the whole monument was before being subjected to the weathering effects of the centuries. See for yourself the holding pens where the arena’s sacrificial animals were caged. Visit a faithful recreation of an original wooden elevator which would have winched man and beast alike up to the savage scenes of slaughter taking place above.
Pass by the Arch of Constantine as we cross over to the Roman Forum
This is the first of many victory arches you’ll learn all about today. Go with your guide as they breathe life into the monumental Arch of Constantine, injecting color into its faded reliefs and narrating the stories it tells as if they happened yesterday. From here it’s a short walk to the Roman Forum along the Sacred Way, the route victorious generals used to take while making the way through the city for their triumph.
Here in the Roman Forum we’ll explore the epicenter of ancient Roman life. Among the Roman Forum’s plethora of monuments, we’ll visit the site of Julius Caesar’s cremation, the scene of a near riot in the days following his assassination. We’ll marvel at the Temple of Vesta, where the Vestal Virgins kept their sacred fire eternally lit – they believed for the divine protection of their city.
Stand in the shadows of its timeless monuments
We’ll acquaint ourselves with the Forum’s basilicas: large colonnaded buildings inside which the Romans would hold law courts and conduct all kinds of political and financial business. And we’ll learn all about the Forum’s temples: like the Temple of Saturn – built in honor of the Capitoline gods – and the Temple of Vespasian – built in honor of emperors who shuffled off their mortal coils only later to become gods.
As we approach the end of the Roman Forum, in the valley between the Palatine Hill and the Capitoline Hill, we’ll stand in the shadow of the Arch of Septimius Severus. This colossal victory monument commemorates the emperor’s victory and humiliating subjugation over Rome’s most dangerous enemies: the Parthians. For reasons that still elude us, it’s one of Rome’s most popular backdrops for enamoured couples taking selfies.
Finish the day absorbing the stunning sights of the Palatine Hill
Having explored all the ancient city, from the Colosseum Underground and the Forum’s temples to its law courts and victory monuments, we’ll conclude the tour by taking in a view of where it all began – the Palatine Hill. It was on the Palatine Hill that Romulus, Rome’s legendary founder, set up residence after founding the city. In fact, archaeologists have found huts dating back to the 7th century BC that may well have belonged to him.
Rome’s rich and powerful lived on the Palatine Hill. Safe from the squalor below, they enjoyed easy access down to the Roman Forum. During the age of the emperors, the Palatine was an enormous palace complex – flowing with fountains, pools, and reception halls. Looking at it now from the valley of the Roman Forum, such an image of splendor is not hard to imagine.
Itinerary:ColosseumColosseum UndergroundRoman ForumArch of Constantine
Included:Skip-the-line ticketsLicensed guide
Wheelchair accessible:Not for semi-private tours. Guests with limited mobility are encouraged to visit our private tour page.
Meeting Point:In front of the metro station Colosseo (on the ground level) by the green souvenir kiosque.
Show on Map
Our guides are fluent in English and have a contagious passion for the inspiring cultural heritage of our Italian cities. Experts in their fields, they will immerse you in the hidden histories and intriguing lives of history's great protagonists. So much to see, so easy to miss out: with the help of our guides, visit the most absorbing sites and uncover the stories that have changed the world. Don't miss this fascinating journey!
- M2233BTrobertlTerrific Trastevere Food Tour with Luca! Luca took my wife and myself on a wonderful food tour through Trastevere. The things we saw and ate and learned were excellent. The best part was Luca's friendly nature.... read moreLuca took my wife and myself on a wonderful food tour through Trastevere. The things we saw and ate and learned were excellent. The best part was Luca's friendly nature. By the end of the evening we felt that we had spent a nice time with a new friend. read less - 10/03/2022
- Darren RA must do experience This cooking class was a highlight of our trip. We got to meet a young chef, Sara. She had us decide what to cook. Then we walked through... read moreThis cooking class was a highlight of our trip. We got to meet a young chef, Sara. She had us decide what to cook. Then we walked through the market to pick out some of the ingredients, the meats and such. Then we went back to their excellent small group kitchen. We had a wonderful time learning from Sara. She taught us to make ravioli and saltimbocca and tiramisu. It was fun and relaxed and extremely delicious. We thought the whole experience was splendid. 10 out of 10. read less - 9/26/2022
- genevieverbBest Food Tour We Took! My fiance and I capped off our first full day in Rome with this lovely food tour. Luca was friendly, excited, and knowledgeable. We got to try a ton of... read moreMy fiance and I capped off our first full day in Rome with this lovely food tour. Luca was friendly, excited, and knowledgeable. We got to try a ton of different food and even returned to one of the restaurants later in the week. The tour groups are kept small, so our group easily got to know each other throughout the tour. We were especially pleased with how accommodating it was: My fiance is a vegetarian and can be a bit of a picky eater, so he had low expectations going in and this ended up being his favorite activity all week! We actually had a couple of vegetarians in our group and there was always an equally hearty substitute whenever necessary. Super pleased with this experience and with Luca! Best part of our week! read less - 9/21/2022
- Emily WWorth every penny. What an evening! This was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. A great evening with plenty of incredible local food and drink and a really good way to meet and... read moreThis was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. A great evening with plenty of incredible local food and drink and a really good way to meet and get to know other travellers. The small group size made it much more personal and conversation flowed all evening! Sara (our guide) was absolutely amazing - so friendly and chatty, and so full of knowledge about the local food and Rome/Trastevere's history. She could not have been better.
I'll be coming back to Rome and will definitely be booking this again. Thank you so much, Sara, for making my first trip to Rome that much better! read less - 9/21/2022
- mrsmac0912Delicious food from fabulous foody Luca Boccia was PHENOMENAL!
His knowledge of Italian cuisine was exceptional, especially welcomed because it included more than just the well known dishes. He was funny and friendly, making our... read moreLuca Boccia was PHENOMENAL!
His knowledge of Italian cuisine was exceptional, especially welcomed because it included more than just the well known dishes. He was funny and friendly, making our time together unforgettable.
Most appreciated was his offer to remain a resource for the duration of our visit with DELICIOUS recommendations off the tourist path.
Well done Luca!!! read less - 9/11/2022
- uscimcA Must Do Tour of Sistine Chapel Amazing! This was my third time to the Vatican but this time I took my adult/teen children and wife and we used a tour guide. It was a... read moreAmazing! This was my third time to the Vatican but this time I took my adult/teen children and wife and we used a tour guide. It was a small group of 9. Just 2 families. She was great. She does this 4 days a week and all the guards knew her by name. If you want to see the Sistine Chapel, then you have to go early. We were one of the first to enter and with her connections basically did not wait on anything. We also entered a section in the Vatican Museums usually off limits to the public, a section with many animal statues and other mosaics. She gave us so much history and culture. My children said it was AP World History made real. You could tell she truly loved what she did. read less - 8/29/2022
- dvorahl2022Best tour ever. Martha was our guide. She is the best. They way she explained all , answered our questions give us all the information in every place all was wonderful. It was... read moreMartha was our guide. She is the best. They way she explained all , answered our questions give us all the information in every place all was wonderful. It was a very hot summer day and she always looks for ways to give us the information under the shade before we went into the sun. I highly recommend this company and Martha as well. It was very easy to make the reservation and pay. We took the private tour and was perfect. 3 hours that feel like Half hour . We didn’t do any limes to get into the places. Know that if you go by yourself or in other yours you could be up to 2 hours under the sun to get into the coliseum or forum. I highly recommend the private tour. read less - 8/05/2022
- michelleSheiowitzGreat Food Stroll with Luca We did the Trastevere Food Stroll with Luca B and he was great! Brought us to great authentic locations and provided his expert advice! We would highly recommend this tour... read moreWe did the Trastevere Food Stroll with Luca B and he was great! Brought us to great authentic locations and provided his expert advice! We would highly recommend this tour and Luca!! read less - 7/30/2022