See the Eternal City from a fresh perspective as you explore Rome at night.
Experience Rome at its most peaceful through a private Rome by night tour. Italy’s capital takes on a new guise in the still serenity of the night. Locals spill out of warm-lit wine bars, gathering outside to mingle on the cobblestones. Luxury shops on the Via del Corso stay open late to tempt after-hours shoppers and restaurants lure in hungry passers-by with the enticing smells of their piatti del giorno.
But it’s Rome’s ancient and baroque monuments that make the city so worth exploring after dark. Wander the Italian capital on a Rome by night tour and you’ll be treated to a true visual feast. see The Pantheon seems to stand taller when its granite columns are lit up in white. The travertine and Carrara marble of the Trevi Fountain ripple with the rush of its fountains’ water. And the golden rotunda of Castel Sant’Angelo dominates the Tiber River.
Bask in the beauty of Rome’s most iconic monuments
There is simply no better time to visit the Eternal City than after the sun has set and the day’s crowds dispersed. It’s now that the ancient city becomes your oyster – its nooks and crannies ready to discover.
But to explore the city properly, you’ll need the expert insight and story-telling experience of one of our private licensed guides.
Of course, you can wander the cobbled streets of the Italian capital alone. But to really get the most out of your time here, and fully appreciate what you’re seeing, you should do so through one of our special tours of Rome.
Rome’s most famous squares and monuments to visit by night
If you are looking for something different from a standard historical walking tour, our Rome by night tour is the perfect solution for you. Absorb a myriad of mysteries, legends and anecdotes as you accompany your expert guide through the cobbled heart of the ancient city. Here are some of the places you might visit:
- Castel Sant’Angelo: For a stunning nocturnal view, stop for a few moments on Ponte Sant’Angelo, the most picturesque of Rome’s ancient bridges. Just across the Tiber, on the west bank of the river, you’ll see the marvelous illuminated fortress of Castel Sant’Angelo. Originally a dynastic mausoleum built by the emperor Hadrian, the structure later served as a prison and papal fortress before being converted into a museum.
- The Vatican: Situated just west of Castel Sant’Angelo is the most famous miniature city-state in the world: Vatican City. Walk up the Via della Conciliazione, which leads directly to Saint Peter’s Square and Saint Peter’s Basilica. Walks Inside Rome runs a range of Vatican by Night tours, allowing you to explore the heart of the papacy after the day’s hustle and bustle. You will have the chance to be almost alone in this legendary building, and you will even be able to sit in the Sistine Chapel: unimaginable during the day!
- The Colosseum: the Colosseum is Rome’s must-see ancient monument. This amphitheater is known all over the world, and no one leaves Rome without having seen it! We advise you to go there after dark when the building is lit up.
Go behind the scenes of ancient Rome and step back in time. Descend into the labyrinth beneath the Colosseum to discover its secrets and explore Hidden Rome. You will learn more about the gladiatorial fights and the ruthless Roman emperors. So don’t miss this incredible experience. Check out our video below to get a taste of our Colosseum by night tour.
- Piazza Navona: Passing through the open-air market of Campo de’ Fiori (literally the “field of flowers”), in the heart of the historic center, you will sumble upon Piazza Navona. This picturesque square was built on the ancient stadium of Domitian which hosted athletic competitions from the end of the first century CE. In the 15th century, the old stadium was covered over, but retained its race track form to become the central market square in Rome. This is the site of some of the greatest masterpieces of Bernini and Borromini. The ancient Egpytian obelisk jutting from its center is embedded into Bernini’s beautiful Fountain of the Four Rivers – one of the most elaborate monuments in Rome.
- The Pantheon: ancient Rome’s almost perfectly-preserved Pantheon is one of the Eternal City’s most popular attractions. It was Michelangelo’s favorite Roman building, as well as that of Raphael. You too will fall under the spell of this ancient religious building located in Piazza della Rotonda. But, if you can’t visit it at night, you can still come and admire it from the outside. Illuminated, the Pantheon turns out to be different, perhaps even more photogenic than during the day.
- The Trevi Fountain: the Trevi Fountain is the largest fountain in Italy, but also the most famous – it is a real treasure of the city of Rome. It is undoubtedly the city’s most romantic monument when lit up at night. Tradition says that if we turn our backs and throw in a coin with our right hand over our left shoulder and make a wish, we make sure to come back to Rome one day. Remember, it is absolutely forbidden reproducing the scene from “La Dolce Vita” where Anita Ekberg invites Marcello Mastroianni to bathe with her in the fountain! Looking upon this magnificent monument on our Rome by night tour, when it is beautifully illuminated, is truly an unforgettable experience.
- Piazza di Spagna: Piazza di Spagna (Spanish Steps) is considered one of the most beautiful squares in Rome. Beautifully illuminated the balustrades and balconies of this steps are truly a sight to behold. At night this place truly comes to life with the vibrant atmosphere of stylish locals who come here to hang out. The many shops in its surroundings make it a must-see for fashion lovers.
Walks Inside Rome – Explore the Eternal City with us!
Walks Inside Rome has been providing travel services and guided tours in Rome since 1999. Our expertise equips our guests to discover the wonders of our country exactly how they want. What’s more, all our private tours are customisable, meaning you can add and combine whatever you want to personalise your experience.
Our licensed tour guides, made up of art historians and archaeologists, accompany all those who love to visit Italy and in particular Rome and its wonders every day. Our guided tours are also in English for all tourists who visit our city and the other beautiful places on the peninsula every year.
We do what we do with love and passion as we believe that culture can be the driving force of our country towards a more prosperous and better future. Explore the Eternal City at its quietest and in the company of an expert guide. Discover its romantic charm through our private Rome by night tour.
For any questions and any further information about our services, fill out the form on our website, send us an email, call us or chat with us on WhatsApp.
Contact us to start tailoring a tour program for you. We look forward to meeting you soon so we can start exploring Italy together!