Request Your Tour
- Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Day Trips
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Food and Wine Experience
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Tours
- Colosseum Tours
- Cooking Classes for Kids in Rome
- Cooking Classes in Rome
- Culinary Experiences
- Day trips from Rome
- Florence Day Trips
- Florence tours
- Food and Wine Experiences in Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
- Food and Wine Experiences in Florence
- Food and Wine Experiences in Florence
- Food and Wine Experiences in Puglia and Matera
- Food and wine experiences in Rome
- Food and Wine Experiences in Venice
- Galleries and Museums of Rome
- Italy Tours
- Milan and Lake Como Tours
- Most Popular Tours
- New Tours
- Other Destinations
- Pope's Farm Tours
- Puglia and Matera
- Puglia and Matera food and Wine Tours
- Puglia and Matera Tours
- Rome Catacombs Tours
- Rome culinary experiences
- Rome Driving Tours
- Rome Guided Tours
- Rome Jewish Tours
- Rome Kids & Families Experiences
- Rome Kids and Families Tours
- Rome on Wheels
- Rome Private Tours
- Rome Shore Excursions
- Rome Small Group Tours
- Rome Tours
- Sicily and Pantelleria Food and Wine Tours
- Sicily and Pantelleria Tours
- Special Tours of Rome
- Vatican Jewish Tours
- Vatican Kids and Families Tours
- Vatican Small Group Tours
- Vatican Tours
- Venice Day Trips
- Venice Driving Tours
- Venice Food and Wine Tours
- Venice Kids & Families Experiences
- Venice Kids and Families Tours
- Venice Tours
For More Information(0039) 338 7791615
Mon - Sat / 08:30 AM - 8:30 PM
Why Choose It?
- Immerse yourself in history in the capital of Christianity.
- Unlock the deeper meaning behind ancient and Christian symbols with your expert guide.
- Journey outside the walls to see the tomb of St. Paul
Even before the emperor Constantine declared Christianity the Roman Empire’s official religion, Christianity was making its imprint on Roman culture. The Roman State saw early Christians as a threat to the social status-quo. Their belief in one god went against the core values of Roman paganism, which favored the worship of multiple deities. For this the Christians were persecuted, fed to the lions in the Colosseum or scapegoated for certain disasters that affected the city, like the Great Fire in 64 AD.
But their redemption came in the fourth century when Constantine I converted to Christianity. The emperor’s conversion brought about change which resulted in Christianity becoming the religion of the State. This tour takes us to some of Rome’s oldest and most important ecclesiastical sites as we trace the mark Christianity has left. Accompanying you through Rome’s most famous basilicas and holy sites, your private expert guide will deepen your knowledge about the important role Christianity has played in Rome through centuries.
Our journey through Christian Rome begins at St. John Lateran
The famous basilica in the heart of San Giovanni holds the throne of the Pope of Rome and offers a unique blend of different artistic styles. First built during the reign of Constantine (306 – 337 AD), the church you see before you now dates from the 16th century. It incorporates many relics from antiquity, however, such as its central doors which were taken from the Roman Forum‘s ancient Curia (Senate House).
Close to St. John Lateran are the famous Holy Stairs. Transported from the Holy Land to Rome in 326 AD, these were supposedly the steps up which Jesus climbed when going to face his trial by Pontious Pilate. Each year they attract thousands of Christians making their pilgrimages to different sites across Rome.
Explore the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore
The 13th-century church of Santa Maria Maggiore is a treasure trove of Christian treasures. The largest Catholic Marian church in the city, Santa Maria Maggiore is an extraordinary holy site. It houses some of Rome’s most stunning apse mosaics depicting scenes from both the Old and New Testament and depicts a number of other important scenes from Christian history in its nave.
As well as this, Santa Maria Maggiore is home to a wealth of other artworks just waiting to be discovered. From miracle-working icons to relics like the Holy Crib and the impossibly ornate Altar of Sistine Chapel and Oratory of the Nativity, Santa Maria Maggiore is an essential visit for anyone wanting to immerse themselves in the history of Christian Rome.
Next, the Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem
Nestled between the Basilica of St. John Lateran and Porta Maggiore, the Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem is another along the pilgrim route of the seven churches of Rome. Itself stretching back to the 3rd century AD, you will learn of the layers of history that combine to culminate in the stunning structure that stands before us today.
Your guide will lead you through these changes, driven by Emperors and Popes-a-plenty. Each new addition represents a shift in style, motifs, and cultures that have swept across the Eternal City during its long and winding story.
Finish at the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls
Finally, enjoy the comfort of a private transfer as you are taken outside of Rome’s city walls towards the district of Ostiense in Rome’s southern suburbs. Having gazed upon the magnificence of St. Paul Outside the Walls you will surely understand the necessity of the journey made.
Dating back to the 4th century AD, the basilica belongs to the Holy See, and with good reason. Having entered through the breathtaking collonade facade, you will find a marble tombstone under which the remains of St. Paul lie. One should look no further if they are aiming to understand the nascent years of Christianity in Rome.
Itinerary:Basilica of St. John LateranBasilica of Santa Maria MaggioreHoly StaircaseSanta Croce in GerusalemmeSaint Paul Outside the Walls
Included:Private licensed guideCar and driver
Wheelchair accessible:Yes. (Itinerary may differ).
Meeting Point:Hotel Lobby
Our guides are fluent in English and have a contagious passion for the inspiring cultural heritage of our Italian cities. Experts in their fields, they will immerse you in the hidden histories and intriguing lives of history's great protagonists. So much to see, so easy to miss out: with the help of our guides, visit the most absorbing sites and uncover the stories that have changed the world. Don't miss this fascinating journey!
- M2233BTrobertlTerrific Trastevere Food Tour with Luca! Luca took my wife and myself on a wonderful food tour through Trastevere. The things we saw and ate and learned were excellent. The best part was Luca's friendly nature.... read moreLuca took my wife and myself on a wonderful food tour through Trastevere. The things we saw and ate and learned were excellent. The best part was Luca's friendly nature. By the end of the evening we felt that we had spent a nice time with a new friend. read less - 10/03/2022
- Darren RA must do experience This cooking class was a highlight of our trip. We got to meet a young chef, Sara. She had us decide what to cook. Then we walked through... read moreThis cooking class was a highlight of our trip. We got to meet a young chef, Sara. She had us decide what to cook. Then we walked through the market to pick out some of the ingredients, the meats and such. Then we went back to their excellent small group kitchen. We had a wonderful time learning from Sara. She taught us to make ravioli and saltimbocca and tiramisu. It was fun and relaxed and extremely delicious. We thought the whole experience was splendid. 10 out of 10. read less - 9/26/2022
- genevieverbBest Food Tour We Took! My fiance and I capped off our first full day in Rome with this lovely food tour. Luca was friendly, excited, and knowledgeable. We got to try a ton of... read moreMy fiance and I capped off our first full day in Rome with this lovely food tour. Luca was friendly, excited, and knowledgeable. We got to try a ton of different food and even returned to one of the restaurants later in the week. The tour groups are kept small, so our group easily got to know each other throughout the tour. We were especially pleased with how accommodating it was: My fiance is a vegetarian and can be a bit of a picky eater, so he had low expectations going in and this ended up being his favorite activity all week! We actually had a couple of vegetarians in our group and there was always an equally hearty substitute whenever necessary. Super pleased with this experience and with Luca! Best part of our week! read less - 9/21/2022
- Emily WWorth every penny. What an evening! This was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. A great evening with plenty of incredible local food and drink and a really good way to meet and... read moreThis was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. A great evening with plenty of incredible local food and drink and a really good way to meet and get to know other travellers. The small group size made it much more personal and conversation flowed all evening! Sara (our guide) was absolutely amazing - so friendly and chatty, and so full of knowledge about the local food and Rome/Trastevere's history. She could not have been better.
I'll be coming back to Rome and will definitely be booking this again. Thank you so much, Sara, for making my first trip to Rome that much better! read less - 9/21/2022
- mrsmac0912Delicious food from fabulous foody Luca Boccia was PHENOMENAL!
His knowledge of Italian cuisine was exceptional, especially welcomed because it included more than just the well known dishes. He was funny and friendly, making our... read moreLuca Boccia was PHENOMENAL!
His knowledge of Italian cuisine was exceptional, especially welcomed because it included more than just the well known dishes. He was funny and friendly, making our time together unforgettable.
Most appreciated was his offer to remain a resource for the duration of our visit with DELICIOUS recommendations off the tourist path.
Well done Luca!!! read less - 9/11/2022
- uscimcA Must Do Tour of Sistine Chapel Amazing! This was my third time to the Vatican but this time I took my adult/teen children and wife and we used a tour guide. It was a... read moreAmazing! This was my third time to the Vatican but this time I took my adult/teen children and wife and we used a tour guide. It was a small group of 9. Just 2 families. She was great. She does this 4 days a week and all the guards knew her by name. If you want to see the Sistine Chapel, then you have to go early. We were one of the first to enter and with her connections basically did not wait on anything. We also entered a section in the Vatican Museums usually off limits to the public, a section with many animal statues and other mosaics. She gave us so much history and culture. My children said it was AP World History made real. You could tell she truly loved what she did. read less - 8/29/2022
- dvorahl2022Best tour ever. Martha was our guide. She is the best. They way she explained all , answered our questions give us all the information in every place all was wonderful. It was... read moreMartha was our guide. She is the best. They way she explained all , answered our questions give us all the information in every place all was wonderful. It was a very hot summer day and she always looks for ways to give us the information under the shade before we went into the sun. I highly recommend this company and Martha as well. It was very easy to make the reservation and pay. We took the private tour and was perfect. 3 hours that feel like Half hour . We didn’t do any limes to get into the places. Know that if you go by yourself or in other yours you could be up to 2 hours under the sun to get into the coliseum or forum. I highly recommend the private tour. read less - 8/05/2022
- michelleSheiowitzGreat Food Stroll with Luca We did the Trastevere Food Stroll with Luca B and he was great! Brought us to great authentic locations and provided his expert advice! We would highly recommend this tour... read moreWe did the Trastevere Food Stroll with Luca B and he was great! Brought us to great authentic locations and provided his expert advice! We would highly recommend this tour and Luca!! read less - 7/30/2022