Request Your Tour
- Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Day Trips
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Food and Wine Experience
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Tours
- Colosseum Tours
- Cooking Classes for Kids in Rome
- Cooking Classes in Rome
- Culinary Experiences
- Day trips from Rome
- Florence Day Trips
- Florence Small Group Tours
- Florence tours
- Food and Wine Experiences in Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
- Food and Wine Experiences in Florence
- Food and Wine Experiences in Florence
- Food and Wine Experiences in Puglia and Matera
- Food and wine experiences in Rome
- Food and Wine Experiences in Venice
- Galleries and Museums of Rome
- Italy Tours
- Milan and Lake Como Tours
- Most Popular Tours
- New Tours
- Other Destinations
- Pope's Farm Tours
- Puglia and Matera
- Puglia and Matera food and Wine Tours
- Puglia and Matera Tours
- Rome Catacombs Tours
- Rome culinary experiences
- Rome Driving Tours
- Rome Guided Tours
- Rome Jewish Tours
- Rome Kids & Families Experiences
- Rome Kids and Families Tours
- Rome on Wheels
- Rome Private Tours
- Rome Shore Excursions
- Rome Small Group Tours
- Rome Tours
- Sicily and Pantelleria Food and Wine Tours
- Sicily and Pantelleria Tours
- Special Tours of Rome
- Vatican Jewish Tours
- Vatican Kids and Families Tours
- Vatican Small Group Tours
- Vatican Tours
- Venice Day Trips
- Venice Driving Tours
- Venice Food and Wine Tours
- Venice Kids & Families Experiences
- Venice Kids and Families Tours
- Venice Tours
- How many days in Rome is enough?19 September, 2023
- Famous places in ancient Rome: landmarks, monuments...19 September, 2023
- Golf Cart Tour with a Food Experience1 August, 2023
- How many days in Rome is enough?
For More Information(0039) 338 7791615
Mon - Sat / 08:30 AM - 8:30 PM
Why Choose It?
- Discover a new side of the Eternal City seeking out its many mosaics.
- Unlock the artistic secrets that have shaped our world.
- Immerse yourself in the Christian and Byzantine mosaic masterpieces.
Mosaics were among the most popular and beautiful ancient artforms. For thousands of years, ancient civilizations from the Mesopotamians to the Greeks and Romans decorated their homes, temples, and monuments with multi-material mosaics. Mosaics in the city of Rome originally appeared only in rich private residences. From the 1st century AD, however, with the influx of riches from Rome’s foreign conquests, Roman mosaics started decorating public spaces. The scenes they depicted varied, but their beauty always remained the same.
Mosaic artists introduced gold to their creations during the Christian and Byzantine period. This addition furnished visually breathtaking mosaic artworks, many of which have lived for centuries within the holy walls of the Eternal City. Our Rome of the Mosaics Tour takes you on a journey through some of Rome’s most stunning churches and basilicas – from San Clemente, Santa Maria Maggiore, Santa Prassede and San Giovanni in Laterano – as we seek out mosaic art. If mosaics are your passion, we can also take you to visit the Vatican Mosaic School to learn the craft behind how these masterpieces are created.
Marvel at the medieval mosaics of San Clemente
The richly decorated Church of San Clemente is an art-lover’s paradise. Ornamenting its historic walls is a splendid series of apse mosaics, dating from the early 12th century and shining in burnished gold. These richly embellished mosaics depict traditional Christian scenes, featuring figures of Christ and the Apostles – characters we will meet elsewhere.
Discover the 13th century mosaics of Santa Maria Maggiore
The Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore contains some of the most stunning apse mosaics in Rome – perhaps even in the world. Dating to the 13th century, they were created by Jacopo Torriti who also worked on the mosaics of Saint John the Lateran. Santa Maria Maggiore’s apse is truly spectacular, combining an eye-catching wash of shining burnished gold with the technical subtlety of Byzantine form and colour.
Admire the mosaics of the Basilica of Santa Prassede
Not far away from Santa Maria Maggiore on Rome’s Esquiline Hill, the Basilica of Santa Prassede is one of the least known yet more impressive churches in the city. Modelled on Constantinople’s Basilica of Saint Peter’s, the entire church had a decorative programme consisting of mosaics. Because of this heavily Byzantine influence, and the church’s rich ornamentation, many believe Santa Prassede contains Rome’s richest decorative mosaics outside the Vatican’s Saint Peter’s Basilica.
Discover the ancient mosaics of Santa Pudenziana.
The mosaics within the Basilica of Santa Pudenziana are among Rome’s earliest. Dating to the 5th century, the mosaics were made in the immediate aftermath of Alaric the Goth’s sack of Rome in 410. They show invaluable scenes of the imperial city – helping us reconstruct how sites like the Roman Forum looked like. Yet the mosaic artists also adapted them in line with the Christian message of the time: replacing the emperor Constantine with the figure of Christ enthroned and the senators that thronged him with figures of the apostles.
Enjoy an optional visit to the Vatican Mosaic School.
The artisans of the Vatican Mosaic School hold responsibility for the upkeep and restoration of Saint Peter’s Basilica’s plethora of mosaics. If you would like to visit this storied school, we can organize this at the culmination of your private Rome of the Mosaics tour. Discover the tradition and techniques behind their trade and deepen your understanding and appreciation of this magnificent art-form.
Please note, shoulders and knees need to be covered to enter all religious sites, such as San Clemente, Santa Maria Maggiore, and Santa Prassede.
Itinerary:San ClementeSanta Maria MaggioreBasilica di Santa PrassedeSanta Pudenziana
Included:Private licensed guide
Wheelchair accessible:Yes. (Itinerary may differ as San Clemente is not accessible).
Meeting Point:Hotel lobby
Our guides are fluent in English and have a contagious passion for the inspiring cultural heritage of our Italian cities. Experts in their fields, they will immerse you in the hidden histories and intriguing lives of history's great protagonists. So much to see, so easy to miss out: with the help of our guides, visit the most absorbing sites and uncover the stories that have changed the world. Don't miss this fascinating journey!
- M2233BTrobertlTerrific Trastevere Food Tour with Luca! Luca took my wife and myself on a wonderful food tour through Trastevere. The things we saw and ate and learned were excellent. The best part was Luca's friendly nature.... read moreLuca took my wife and myself on a wonderful food tour through Trastevere. The things we saw and ate and learned were excellent. The best part was Luca's friendly nature. By the end of the evening we felt that we had spent a nice time with a new friend. read less - 10/03/2022
- Darren RA must do experience This cooking class was a highlight of our trip. We got to meet a young chef, Sara. She had us decide what to cook. Then we walked through... read moreThis cooking class was a highlight of our trip. We got to meet a young chef, Sara. She had us decide what to cook. Then we walked through the market to pick out some of the ingredients, the meats and such. Then we went back to their excellent small group kitchen. We had a wonderful time learning from Sara. She taught us to make ravioli and saltimbocca and tiramisu. It was fun and relaxed and extremely delicious. We thought the whole experience was splendid. 10 out of 10. read less - 9/26/2022
- genevieverbBest Food Tour We Took! My fiance and I capped off our first full day in Rome with this lovely food tour. Luca was friendly, excited, and knowledgeable. We got to try a ton of... read moreMy fiance and I capped off our first full day in Rome with this lovely food tour. Luca was friendly, excited, and knowledgeable. We got to try a ton of different food and even returned to one of the restaurants later in the week. The tour groups are kept small, so our group easily got to know each other throughout the tour. We were especially pleased with how accommodating it was: My fiance is a vegetarian and can be a bit of a picky eater, so he had low expectations going in and this ended up being his favorite activity all week! We actually had a couple of vegetarians in our group and there was always an equally hearty substitute whenever necessary. Super pleased with this experience and with Luca! Best part of our week! read less - 9/21/2022
- Emily WWorth every penny. What an evening! This was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. A great evening with plenty of incredible local food and drink and a really good way to meet and... read moreThis was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. A great evening with plenty of incredible local food and drink and a really good way to meet and get to know other travellers. The small group size made it much more personal and conversation flowed all evening! Sara (our guide) was absolutely amazing - so friendly and chatty, and so full of knowledge about the local food and Rome/Trastevere's history. She could not have been better.
I'll be coming back to Rome and will definitely be booking this again. Thank you so much, Sara, for making my first trip to Rome that much better! read less - 9/21/2022
- mrsmac0912Delicious food from fabulous foody Luca Boccia was PHENOMENAL!
His knowledge of Italian cuisine was exceptional, especially welcomed because it included more than just the well known dishes. He was funny and friendly, making our... read moreLuca Boccia was PHENOMENAL!
His knowledge of Italian cuisine was exceptional, especially welcomed because it included more than just the well known dishes. He was funny and friendly, making our time together unforgettable.
Most appreciated was his offer to remain a resource for the duration of our visit with DELICIOUS recommendations off the tourist path.
Well done Luca!!! read less - 9/11/2022
- uscimcA Must Do Tour of Sistine Chapel Amazing! This was my third time to the Vatican but this time I took my adult/teen children and wife and we used a tour guide. It was a... read moreAmazing! This was my third time to the Vatican but this time I took my adult/teen children and wife and we used a tour guide. It was a small group of 9. Just 2 families. She was great. She does this 4 days a week and all the guards knew her by name. If you want to see the Sistine Chapel, then you have to go early. We were one of the first to enter and with her connections basically did not wait on anything. We also entered a section in the Vatican Museums usually off limits to the public, a section with many animal statues and other mosaics. She gave us so much history and culture. My children said it was AP World History made real. You could tell she truly loved what she did. read less - 8/29/2022
- dvorahl2022Best tour ever. Martha was our guide. She is the best. They way she explained all , answered our questions give us all the information in every place all was wonderful. It was... read moreMartha was our guide. She is the best. They way she explained all , answered our questions give us all the information in every place all was wonderful. It was a very hot summer day and she always looks for ways to give us the information under the shade before we went into the sun. I highly recommend this company and Martha as well. It was very easy to make the reservation and pay. We took the private tour and was perfect. 3 hours that feel like Half hour . We didn’t do any limes to get into the places. Know that if you go by yourself or in other yours you could be up to 2 hours under the sun to get into the coliseum or forum. I highly recommend the private tour. read less - 8/05/2022
- michelleSheiowitzGreat Food Stroll with Luca We did the Trastevere Food Stroll with Luca B and he was great! Brought us to great authentic locations and provided his expert advice! We would highly recommend this tour... read moreWe did the Trastevere Food Stroll with Luca B and he was great! Brought us to great authentic locations and provided his expert advice! We would highly recommend this tour and Luca!! read less - 7/30/2022