Request Your Tour
- Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Day Trips
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Food and Wine Experience
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Tours
- Colosseum Tours
- Cooking Classes for Kids in Rome
- Cooking Classes in Rome
- Culinary Experiences
- Day trips from Rome
- Florence Day Trips
- Florence Small Group Tours
- Florence tours
- Food and Wine Experiences in Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
- Food and Wine Experiences in Florence
- Food and Wine Experiences in Florence
- Food and Wine Experiences in Puglia and Matera
- Food and wine experiences in Rome
- Food and Wine Experiences in Venice
- Galleries and Museums of Rome
- Italy Tours
- Milan and Lake Como Tours
- Most Popular Tours
- New Tours
- Other Destinations
- Pope's Farm Tours
- Puglia and Matera
- Puglia and Matera food and Wine Tours
- Puglia and Matera Tours
- Rome Catacombs Tours
- Rome culinary experiences
- Rome Driving Tours
- Rome Guided Tours
- Rome Jewish Tours
- Rome Kids & Families Experiences
- Rome Kids and Families Tours
- Rome on Wheels
- Rome Private Tours
- Rome Shore Excursions
- Rome Small Group Tours
- Rome Tours
- Sicily and Pantelleria Food and Wine Tours
- Sicily and Pantelleria Tours
- Special Tours of Rome
- Vatican Jewish Tours
- Vatican Kids and Families Tours
- Vatican Small Group Tours
- Vatican Tours
- Venice Day Trips
- Venice Driving Tours
- Venice Food and Wine Tours
- Venice Kids & Families Experiences
- Venice Kids and Families Tours
- Venice Tours
- Rome City Center: A Full Guide20 November, 2023
- The Most Famous Monuments in Rome17 November, 2023
- Hotels in Rome: The most strategic hotels and areas...13 November, 2023
- Rome City Center: A Full Guide
For More Information(0039) 338 7791615
Mon - Sat / 08:30 AM - 8:30 PM
Why Choose It?
- Unearth the secrets of the Colosseum by descending into its depths.
- Skip all the lines to maximize your time among the city's ancient legacy.
- Relive history's most important moments as you explore the Roman Forum.
Your private Colosseum Underground tour takes you on a historical odyssey through the astonishing story of the Roman Empire. Discover the world-famous monuments which are our keys to unlocking the secret of Rome’s unparalleled success, and take your plunge into the ancient past as your guide breathes life into the ruins of the Eternal City.
After stopping to admire the imperious Arch of Constantine, step straight inside the mighty Colosseum. Imagine yourself amongst its rowdy crowds, witnessing a brutal gladiator fight or gruesome execution. Venture down into the labyrinthine Colosseum Underground and discover the secrets beneath the atmospheric arena. Ascending back to the light of day, we’ll make our way over to the Roman Forum to uncover the center of Rome’s political and social life. Your private tours finishes with views over the Palatine and Capitoline hills.
Unlock the secrets of the Colosseum Underground
The Colosseum Underground offers the key to comprehending how the Colosseum functioned as an amphitheater. Beneath the sands of the arena ran a complex network of cells, passageways, and holding rooms housing both human and bestial participants along with all their equipment and stage props.
Few places on earth transport you so vividly and directly back to antiquity as the Colosseum Underground. Its travertine walls still retain their original white color, unlike those above and inside the monument which for centuries have been exposed to the elements.
Punctuating the winding, labyrinthine corridors of the Colosseum Underground are nooks and crannies only an expert guide can contextualize. Some of its darkened crevices were actually holding cells, cages for wild beasts before they were transported to the arena and pitted against either combatants or the condemned. Certain wooden structures at the end were hand-winched lifts, used to lift participants to the area floor above through a series of cunningly hidden trap doors.
The Colosseum Underground was recently opened for the first time in history and places are limited due to the fragile nature of the structure. So carpe diem – seize the day – and see for yourself what it was like to participate in the games here nearly 2,000 years ago.
Step further back in time in the Roman Forum
The Roman Forum offers the most comprehensive insight into Roman civilization. It is an unmissable place to visit when in Rome and Walks Inside Rome’s guides are specialists at bringing the site to life just for you. The guide will take you to discover the famous Curia, Rome’s ancient Senate House, where wars were declared, treaties were written, and some of the most defining decisions in western history were made.
We’ll visit the monumental Arch of Septimius Severus. Standing strong beside the curia, and towering over the Roman Forum, the Arch of Septimius Severus tells several fascinating stories. One relates to war, to Rome’s subjugation of its historic enemy the Parthians, which is artfully represented across the arch’s friezes. The other relates to Severus’ family, and preserves a tragic tale of fratricide and an attempt to hide the deed by erasing a dead man’s name from history.
Your private Ancient Rome and Colosseum Underground tour will take you to the site where Julius Caesar was cremated. Visit the remains of the temple built on the site in his commemoration by the Romans. Your tour of the Roman Forum will take you through temples, victory monuments, basilicas, and religious sites, bringing you face to face with the daily political and social life of ancient Rome. It also offers wonderful views of the Palatine and Capitoline hills, two of the Seven Hills of Rome, which constitutes the final part of your tour.
Soak in the sights of the Palatine Hill
The Palatine Hill was the cradle of Rome, the site King Romulus chose to found his city, and the spot where, when his twin brother Remus leapt over its primitive ramparts, he committed his infamous act of fratricide.
The Palatine never lost its royal connection. First serving as the residence of Rome’s kings, when the city expelled its monarchy it became the home of Rome’s eminent citizens. During the Republic, the likes of Cicero, Clodius, and Octavian – who would become the emperor Augustus.
The emperors followed suit, building their sprawling royal palaces the length and breadth of the Palatine Hill. The most breathtaking is the Domus Augustana, built by the Flavian emperor Domitian whose father, Vespasian, was the emperor who masterminded the Colosseum.
Your private Ancient Rome and Colosseum Underground tour finishes with a breathtaking view over the Palatine Hill. Your expert guide will bring its history to life, nourishing you with a knowledge that will make you feel fully acquainted with the ancient heart of Rome.
Your Private Colosseum Underground tour is fully customizable
Whatever else you want to see in the vast Eternal City, let us know and we can make it part of your ancient Rome itinerary. Our expert guides can take you through any other site in Rome’s historic center, like the Pantheon, Circus Maximus or Piazza Navona, or transport you further out to explore underground Rome.
If you want to explore more of underground Rome, we can guide you through the ancient Mithraeum temple beneath the Basilica of St Clemente or one of the several catacombs that line the Old Appian Way. Leave us a message and we’ll tailor the perfect ancient itinerary for your time in the Eternal City.
Itinerary:ColosseumColosseum UndergroundColosseum Arena FloorRoman ForumPalatine Hill (View)Capitoline Hill (View)Arch of Constantine
Included:VIP skip-the-line access to the Colosseum, Underground and Roman ForumPrivate licensed guide
Meeting Point:In front of the metro station Colosseo (on the ground floor), by the green souvenir kiosque
Our guides are fluent in English and have a contagious passion for the inspiring cultural heritage of our Italian cities. Experts in their fields, they will immerse you in the hidden histories and intriguing lives of history's great protagonists. So much to see, so easy to miss out: with the help of our guides, visit the most absorbing sites and uncover the stories that have changed the world. Don't miss this fascinating journey!
- M2233BTrobertlTerrific Trastevere Food Tour with Luca! Luca took my wife and myself on a wonderful food tour through Trastevere. The things we saw and ate and learned were excellent. The best part was Luca's friendly nature.... read moreLuca took my wife and myself on a wonderful food tour through Trastevere. The things we saw and ate and learned were excellent. The best part was Luca's friendly nature. By the end of the evening we felt that we had spent a nice time with a new friend. read less - 10/03/2022
- Darren RA must do experience This cooking class was a highlight of our trip. We got to meet a young chef, Sara. She had us decide what to cook. Then we walked through... read moreThis cooking class was a highlight of our trip. We got to meet a young chef, Sara. She had us decide what to cook. Then we walked through the market to pick out some of the ingredients, the meats and such. Then we went back to their excellent small group kitchen. We had a wonderful time learning from Sara. She taught us to make ravioli and saltimbocca and tiramisu. It was fun and relaxed and extremely delicious. We thought the whole experience was splendid. 10 out of 10. read less - 9/26/2022
- genevieverbBest Food Tour We Took! My fiance and I capped off our first full day in Rome with this lovely food tour. Luca was friendly, excited, and knowledgeable. We got to try a ton of... read moreMy fiance and I capped off our first full day in Rome with this lovely food tour. Luca was friendly, excited, and knowledgeable. We got to try a ton of different food and even returned to one of the restaurants later in the week. The tour groups are kept small, so our group easily got to know each other throughout the tour. We were especially pleased with how accommodating it was: My fiance is a vegetarian and can be a bit of a picky eater, so he had low expectations going in and this ended up being his favorite activity all week! We actually had a couple of vegetarians in our group and there was always an equally hearty substitute whenever necessary. Super pleased with this experience and with Luca! Best part of our week! read less - 9/21/2022
- Emily WWorth every penny. What an evening! This was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. A great evening with plenty of incredible local food and drink and a really good way to meet and... read moreThis was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. A great evening with plenty of incredible local food and drink and a really good way to meet and get to know other travellers. The small group size made it much more personal and conversation flowed all evening! Sara (our guide) was absolutely amazing - so friendly and chatty, and so full of knowledge about the local food and Rome/Trastevere's history. She could not have been better.
I'll be coming back to Rome and will definitely be booking this again. Thank you so much, Sara, for making my first trip to Rome that much better! read less - 9/21/2022
- mrsmac0912Delicious food from fabulous foody Luca Boccia was PHENOMENAL!
His knowledge of Italian cuisine was exceptional, especially welcomed because it included more than just the well known dishes. He was funny and friendly, making our... read moreLuca Boccia was PHENOMENAL!
His knowledge of Italian cuisine was exceptional, especially welcomed because it included more than just the well known dishes. He was funny and friendly, making our time together unforgettable.
Most appreciated was his offer to remain a resource for the duration of our visit with DELICIOUS recommendations off the tourist path.
Well done Luca!!! read less - 9/11/2022
- uscimcA Must Do Tour of Sistine Chapel Amazing! This was my third time to the Vatican but this time I took my adult/teen children and wife and we used a tour guide. It was a... read moreAmazing! This was my third time to the Vatican but this time I took my adult/teen children and wife and we used a tour guide. It was a small group of 9. Just 2 families. She was great. She does this 4 days a week and all the guards knew her by name. If you want to see the Sistine Chapel, then you have to go early. We were one of the first to enter and with her connections basically did not wait on anything. We also entered a section in the Vatican Museums usually off limits to the public, a section with many animal statues and other mosaics. She gave us so much history and culture. My children said it was AP World History made real. You could tell she truly loved what she did. read less - 8/29/2022
- dvorahl2022Best tour ever. Martha was our guide. She is the best. They way she explained all , answered our questions give us all the information in every place all was wonderful. It was... read moreMartha was our guide. She is the best. They way she explained all , answered our questions give us all the information in every place all was wonderful. It was a very hot summer day and she always looks for ways to give us the information under the shade before we went into the sun. I highly recommend this company and Martha as well. It was very easy to make the reservation and pay. We took the private tour and was perfect. 3 hours that feel like Half hour . We didn’t do any limes to get into the places. Know that if you go by yourself or in other yours you could be up to 2 hours under the sun to get into the coliseum or forum. I highly recommend the private tour. read less - 8/05/2022
- michelleSheiowitzGreat Food Stroll with Luca We did the Trastevere Food Stroll with Luca B and he was great! Brought us to great authentic locations and provided his expert advice! We would highly recommend this tour... read moreWe did the Trastevere Food Stroll with Luca B and he was great! Brought us to great authentic locations and provided his expert advice! We would highly recommend this tour and Luca!! read less - 7/30/2022