Request Your Tour
- Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Day Trips
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Food and Wine Experience
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Tours
- Colosseum Tours
- Cooking Classes for Kids in Rome
- Cooking Classes in Rome
- Culinary Experiences
- Day trips from Rome
- Florence Day Trips
- Florence Small Group Tours
- Florence tours
- Food and Wine Experiences in Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
- Food and Wine Experiences in Florence
- Food and Wine Experiences in Florence
- Food and Wine Experiences in Puglia and Matera
- Food and wine experiences in Rome
- Food and Wine Experiences in Venice
- Galleries and Museums of Rome
- Italy Tours
- Milan and Lake Como Tours
- Most Popular Tours
- New Tours
- Other Destinations
- Pope's Farm Tours
- Puglia and Matera
- Puglia and Matera food and Wine Tours
- Puglia and Matera Tours
- Rome Catacombs Tours
- Rome culinary experiences
- Rome Driving Tours
- Rome Guided Tours
- Rome Jewish Tours
- Rome Kids & Families Experiences
- Rome Kids and Families Tours
- Rome on Wheels
- Rome Private Tours
- Rome Shore Excursions
- Rome Small Group Tours
- Rome Tours
- Sicily and Pantelleria Food and Wine Tours
- Sicily and Pantelleria Tours
- Special Tours of Rome
- Vatican Jewish Tours
- Vatican Kids and Families Tours
- Vatican Small Group Tours
- Vatican Tours
- Venice Day Trips
- Venice Driving Tours
- Venice Food and Wine Tours
- Venice Kids & Families Experiences
- Venice Kids and Families Tours
- Venice Tours
- The best time to visit Rome27 September, 2023
- How many days in Rome is enough?19 September, 2023
- Famous places in ancient Rome: landmarks, monuments...19 September, 2023
- The best time to visit Rome
For More Information(0039) 338 7791615
Mon - Sat / 08:30 AM - 8:30 PM
Why Choose It?
- Immerse yourself in the story of Caravaggio’s astonishing life.
- Gain insight into his most astounding masterpieces and lesser-known works.
- Step into extraordinary basilicas in the company of an expert guide.
Embark on an expedition through the history of baroque art through the masterpieces of one of the era’s most influential artists: Michelangelo Merisi Da Caravaggio. Join your expert guide for a tour through the basilicas of Santa Maria del Popolo, San Luigi dei Francesi, and Sant’Agostino for insight into the artist’s depictions of Christian parables and local culture.
As with all paintings, there is a story to be told. Caravaggio’s storytelling method was unlike any other painter in the Baroque period. He portrayed religion through ordinary life—the elderly, children, prostitutes, and the poor in particular—and used high contrast and natural shadows to create such profound and revolutionary paintings that have gone unrivaled for centuries. His insistence on rendering the emotional truth of experience produces a contrasting quality of power and relatability, as well as a reflection of his own life.
Discover the life and masterpieces of Caravaggio with us
Your private Caravaggio tour takes you through some of central Rome’s most stunning churches. Here you will find the most famous Caravaggio masterpieces that have made the artist a household name all over the western world. Caravaggio was a complex, often violent character.
Living in Rome during his 20s, he spent his days at the easel but many nights on the streets, getting involved in brawls and street fights. During one such fight Caravaggio killed a man, forcing him to flee to Naples, never to return. But during his time in the Eternal City he forged an artistic legacy that has lived down the ages.
View three Caravaggios in San Luigi dei Francesi Church
Built for the French community in the sixteenth century, the Church of San Luigi dei Francesi contains an impressive repertoire of Italian artworks. Without doubt the most famous, however, are its three Caravaggio panels represented key moments in the life of Saint Matthew. In characteristically groundbreaking style, Caravaggio depicted the Calling of Saint Matthew, the Inspiration of Saint Matthew, and – inevitably – the Martyrdom of Saint Matthew.
Marvel at the Caravaggio in Santa Maria del Popolo Church
Situated on Rome’s famous Piazza del Popolo (hence the church’s name), the Church of Santa Maria del Popolo contains works by some of the Eternal City’s most prized artists. Among its prestigious collection are artworks by Raphael, Bernini, and Bramante – all of whom have left significant contributions in the Vatican.
Raphael left us the Raphael Rooms in the Vatican Museums, Bernini fashioned the famous Baldachin inside Saint Peter’s Basilica, and Bramante among other things was responsible for renovating Saint Peter’s Basilica itself. But even with such impressive names, the highlight of Santa Maria del Popolo is the Caravaggio depicting the Crucifixion of Saint Peter: a work spilling with pathos.
Meet a Caravaggio masterpiece in Sant’Agostino Church
Occupying pride of place within this 15th century church, whose facade is built from travertine taken from the Colosseum, is Caravaggio’s stunning Madonna di Loreto. Commissioned at the beginning of the 17th century, it controversially depicts a barefoot Virgin Mary – something which according to contemporaries caused uproar at the time of its unveiling. Gaze upon Caravaggio’s mastery in the company of an expert art historian and unlock the many secrets behind the Great Master’s craft.
Itinerary:Vicolo del Divino AmoreCavalier d’ArpinoOsteria della LupaPiazza FirenzeSan Luigi dei FrancesiSanta Maria del PopoloSant’Agostino
Included:Private licensed guide
Wheelchair accessible:Yes. (Itinerary may differ).
Meeting Point:Hotel lobby
Our guides are fluent in English and have a contagious passion for the inspiring cultural heritage of our Italian cities. Experts in their fields, they will immerse you in the hidden histories and intriguing lives of history's great protagonists. So much to see, so easy to miss out: with the help of our guides, visit the most absorbing sites and uncover the stories that have changed the world. Don't miss this fascinating journey!
- M2233BTrobertlTerrific Trastevere Food Tour with Luca! Luca took my wife and myself on a wonderful food tour through Trastevere. The things we saw and ate and learned were excellent. The best part was Luca's friendly nature.... read moreLuca took my wife and myself on a wonderful food tour through Trastevere. The things we saw and ate and learned were excellent. The best part was Luca's friendly nature. By the end of the evening we felt that we had spent a nice time with a new friend. read less - 10/03/2022
- Darren RA must do experience This cooking class was a highlight of our trip. We got to meet a young chef, Sara. She had us decide what to cook. Then we walked through... read moreThis cooking class was a highlight of our trip. We got to meet a young chef, Sara. She had us decide what to cook. Then we walked through the market to pick out some of the ingredients, the meats and such. Then we went back to their excellent small group kitchen. We had a wonderful time learning from Sara. She taught us to make ravioli and saltimbocca and tiramisu. It was fun and relaxed and extremely delicious. We thought the whole experience was splendid. 10 out of 10. read less - 9/26/2022
- genevieverbBest Food Tour We Took! My fiance and I capped off our first full day in Rome with this lovely food tour. Luca was friendly, excited, and knowledgeable. We got to try a ton of... read moreMy fiance and I capped off our first full day in Rome with this lovely food tour. Luca was friendly, excited, and knowledgeable. We got to try a ton of different food and even returned to one of the restaurants later in the week. The tour groups are kept small, so our group easily got to know each other throughout the tour. We were especially pleased with how accommodating it was: My fiance is a vegetarian and can be a bit of a picky eater, so he had low expectations going in and this ended up being his favorite activity all week! We actually had a couple of vegetarians in our group and there was always an equally hearty substitute whenever necessary. Super pleased with this experience and with Luca! Best part of our week! read less - 9/21/2022
- Emily WWorth every penny. What an evening! This was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. A great evening with plenty of incredible local food and drink and a really good way to meet and... read moreThis was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. A great evening with plenty of incredible local food and drink and a really good way to meet and get to know other travellers. The small group size made it much more personal and conversation flowed all evening! Sara (our guide) was absolutely amazing - so friendly and chatty, and so full of knowledge about the local food and Rome/Trastevere's history. She could not have been better.
I'll be coming back to Rome and will definitely be booking this again. Thank you so much, Sara, for making my first trip to Rome that much better! read less - 9/21/2022
- mrsmac0912Delicious food from fabulous foody Luca Boccia was PHENOMENAL!
His knowledge of Italian cuisine was exceptional, especially welcomed because it included more than just the well known dishes. He was funny and friendly, making our... read moreLuca Boccia was PHENOMENAL!
His knowledge of Italian cuisine was exceptional, especially welcomed because it included more than just the well known dishes. He was funny and friendly, making our time together unforgettable.
Most appreciated was his offer to remain a resource for the duration of our visit with DELICIOUS recommendations off the tourist path.
Well done Luca!!! read less - 9/11/2022
- uscimcA Must Do Tour of Sistine Chapel Amazing! This was my third time to the Vatican but this time I took my adult/teen children and wife and we used a tour guide. It was a... read moreAmazing! This was my third time to the Vatican but this time I took my adult/teen children and wife and we used a tour guide. It was a small group of 9. Just 2 families. She was great. She does this 4 days a week and all the guards knew her by name. If you want to see the Sistine Chapel, then you have to go early. We were one of the first to enter and with her connections basically did not wait on anything. We also entered a section in the Vatican Museums usually off limits to the public, a section with many animal statues and other mosaics. She gave us so much history and culture. My children said it was AP World History made real. You could tell she truly loved what she did. read less - 8/29/2022
- dvorahl2022Best tour ever. Martha was our guide. She is the best. They way she explained all , answered our questions give us all the information in every place all was wonderful. It was... read moreMartha was our guide. She is the best. They way she explained all , answered our questions give us all the information in every place all was wonderful. It was a very hot summer day and she always looks for ways to give us the information under the shade before we went into the sun. I highly recommend this company and Martha as well. It was very easy to make the reservation and pay. We took the private tour and was perfect. 3 hours that feel like Half hour . We didn’t do any limes to get into the places. Know that if you go by yourself or in other yours you could be up to 2 hours under the sun to get into the coliseum or forum. I highly recommend the private tour. read less - 8/05/2022
- michelleSheiowitzGreat Food Stroll with Luca We did the Trastevere Food Stroll with Luca B and he was great! Brought us to great authentic locations and provided his expert advice! We would highly recommend this tour... read moreWe did the Trastevere Food Stroll with Luca B and he was great! Brought us to great authentic locations and provided his expert advice! We would highly recommend this tour and Luca!! read less - 7/30/2022