Request Your Tour
- Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Day Trips
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Food and Wine Experience
- Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri Tours
- Colosseum Tours
- Cooking Classes for Kids in Rome
- Cooking Classes in Rome
- Culinary Experiences
- Day trips from Rome
- Florence Day Trips
- Florence tours
- Food and Wine Experiences in Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii
- Food and Wine Experiences in Florence
- Food and Wine Experiences in Florence
- Food and Wine Experiences in Puglia and Matera
- Food and wine experiences in Rome
- Food and Wine Experiences in Venice
- Galleries and Museums of Rome
- Italy Tours
- Milan and Lake Como Tours
- Most Popular Tours
- New Tours
- Other Destinations
- Pope's Farm Tours
- Puglia and Matera
- Puglia and Matera food and Wine Tours
- Puglia and Matera Tours
- Rome Catacombs Tours
- Rome culinary experiences
- Rome Driving Tours
- Rome Guided Tours
- Rome Jewish Tours
- Rome Kids & Families Experiences
- Rome Kids and Families Tours
- Rome on Wheels
- Rome Private Tours
- Rome Shore Excursions
- Rome Small Group Tours
- Rome Tours
- Sicily and Pantelleria Food and Wine Tours
- Sicily and Pantelleria Tours
- Special Tours of Rome
- Vatican Jewish Tours
- Vatican Kids and Families Tours
- Vatican Small Group Tours
- Vatican Tours
- Venice Day Trips
- Venice Driving Tours
- Venice Food and Wine Tours
- Venice Kids & Families Experiences
- Venice Kids and Families Tours
- Venice Tours
For More Information(0039) 338 7791615
Mon - Sat / 08:30 AM - 8:30 PM
Why Choose It?
- Explore Rome off the beaten path for a perspective few tourists get to see.
- Discover the Jews' enduring history in Trastevere and the Jewish Ghetto.
- Immerse yourself in the history of the city with guidance from our local
Your private off the beaten path walking tour takes you through the atmospheric quarters of the Jewish Ghetto and Trastevere, visiting fascinating ancient and medieval sites along the way. It offers a chance to get away from the crowds and discover a different Rome, starting in the cobbled medieval neighborhood of Trastevere.
This private tour visits some of the Eternal City’s most alluring neighborhoods, letting you in on the secrets and stories that still resonate from their walls. Your walk through Rome will bring new insight to the history and struggles of Jewish culture and life in the Eternal City.
Meander through Rome with a step off the beaten path
Wandering down the winding, cobbled streets of Trastevere feels like a step back in time. Though it’s now a bustling bohemian neighborhood full of quirky shops and worldly restaurants, it maintains an organic aesthetic that has gone unchanged for centuries. The unpruned Holly Oaks that engulf entire street corners bring a romance to caffès that thrive beneath. Even the crawling Flinders Rose along the walls of Lungotevere combine natural beauty with the towering marble walls that line the river.
Traverse the streets of Trastevere with your expert local guide. Listen to the history of Trastevere, where Jewish culture and society intertwined with Rome’s. The neighborhood was once considered outside the city limits of Rome, and inhabited by fishermen and Jews who needed to cross a bridge—the oldest in Rome—to get into the city center.
Cross the Ponte Fabricio, the oldest bridge in Rome
Between the west and east banks of the Tiber lies the tiny Tiberina Island. Legend holds that the body of a tyrant, who was loathed by the people of Rome, was tossed into the river and serves as the foundation for this island. Originally, prisoners and the sick were condemned to its shores. However, it slowly converted into a land of healing and has harbored a hospital since 1584—the Fatebenefratelli Hospital.
A doctor working at this hospital during World War II is said to have “invented” a deadly, highly contagious illness to keep Nazi officers away and protect Jews seeking refuge inside the hospital’s fortress-like walls.
Experience part of the ancient world and follow your guide across the Ponte Cestio, the bridge connecting Tiber Island to Trastevere on the river’s west bank. It was built in the 1st century BC but dismantled and restored in the 19th century. Continue past Tiber Island and onto the Eternal City’s oldest bridge, the Ponte Fabricio. This impressive landmark is still in its original state and was built just before the previous Ponte Cestio. Cross over into the mainland where you’ll reach the Jewish Ghetto.
Peruse the Jewish Ghetto
At the edge of the east bank of the Tiber lies the Jewish Ghetto. Today, the Jewish Ghetto is a picturesque neighborhood rightfully attached to Rome’s historic center.
The Jewish Ghetto hasn’t always been so calm and pleasant. Your expert tour guide will bring the neighborhood’s unsettling history to life. Down its narrow streets, you can feel the familiarity through proximity the inhabitants must have felt before the walls were torn down in 1888. See the Great Synagogue of Rome, still in use today and one of the only synagogues in the city. It also houses the Jewish Museum, and rightfully so.
This tiny neighborhood is bursting with Jewish culture and history. Your expert guide tells you historic tales, folklore, and legends as you walk down its narrow streets to Campo de ‘Fiori.
Walk inside the popular market of Campo de‘ Fiori
Campo de’ Fiori is another bustling area, much like Trastevere but less trendy. It’s overflowing with performers, market stalls selling anything from handmade leather to local olive oil, and full of locals and tourists alike. But don’t let its friendly atmosphere get shadowed by the billowing storm clouds of this neighborhood’s dark history. It was once the site for executions, publicly displayed.
Itinerary:Trastevere AreaJewish GhettoCampo de' Fiori
Included:Expert professional tour guide
Wheelchair accessible:Yes. (Itinerary may differ).
Meeting Point:Hotel Lobby
Our guides are fluent in English and have a contagious passion for the inspiring cultural heritage of our Italian cities. Experts in their fields, they will immerse you in the hidden histories and intriguing lives of history's great protagonists. So much to see, so easy to miss out: with the help of our guides, visit the most absorbing sites and uncover the stories that have changed the world. Don't miss this fascinating journey!
- M2233BTrobertlTerrific Trastevere Food Tour with Luca! Luca took my wife and myself on a wonderful food tour through Trastevere. The things we saw and ate and learned were excellent. The best part was Luca's friendly nature.... read moreLuca took my wife and myself on a wonderful food tour through Trastevere. The things we saw and ate and learned were excellent. The best part was Luca's friendly nature. By the end of the evening we felt that we had spent a nice time with a new friend. read less - 10/03/2022
- Darren RA must do experience This cooking class was a highlight of our trip. We got to meet a young chef, Sara. She had us decide what to cook. Then we walked through... read moreThis cooking class was a highlight of our trip. We got to meet a young chef, Sara. She had us decide what to cook. Then we walked through the market to pick out some of the ingredients, the meats and such. Then we went back to their excellent small group kitchen. We had a wonderful time learning from Sara. She taught us to make ravioli and saltimbocca and tiramisu. It was fun and relaxed and extremely delicious. We thought the whole experience was splendid. 10 out of 10. read less - 9/26/2022
- genevieverbBest Food Tour We Took! My fiance and I capped off our first full day in Rome with this lovely food tour. Luca was friendly, excited, and knowledgeable. We got to try a ton of... read moreMy fiance and I capped off our first full day in Rome with this lovely food tour. Luca was friendly, excited, and knowledgeable. We got to try a ton of different food and even returned to one of the restaurants later in the week. The tour groups are kept small, so our group easily got to know each other throughout the tour. We were especially pleased with how accommodating it was: My fiance is a vegetarian and can be a bit of a picky eater, so he had low expectations going in and this ended up being his favorite activity all week! We actually had a couple of vegetarians in our group and there was always an equally hearty substitute whenever necessary. Super pleased with this experience and with Luca! Best part of our week! read less - 9/21/2022
- Emily WWorth every penny. What an evening! This was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. A great evening with plenty of incredible local food and drink and a really good way to meet and... read moreThis was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. A great evening with plenty of incredible local food and drink and a really good way to meet and get to know other travellers. The small group size made it much more personal and conversation flowed all evening! Sara (our guide) was absolutely amazing - so friendly and chatty, and so full of knowledge about the local food and Rome/Trastevere's history. She could not have been better.
I'll be coming back to Rome and will definitely be booking this again. Thank you so much, Sara, for making my first trip to Rome that much better! read less - 9/21/2022
- mrsmac0912Delicious food from fabulous foody Luca Boccia was PHENOMENAL!
His knowledge of Italian cuisine was exceptional, especially welcomed because it included more than just the well known dishes. He was funny and friendly, making our... read moreLuca Boccia was PHENOMENAL!
His knowledge of Italian cuisine was exceptional, especially welcomed because it included more than just the well known dishes. He was funny and friendly, making our time together unforgettable.
Most appreciated was his offer to remain a resource for the duration of our visit with DELICIOUS recommendations off the tourist path.
Well done Luca!!! read less - 9/11/2022
- uscimcA Must Do Tour of Sistine Chapel Amazing! This was my third time to the Vatican but this time I took my adult/teen children and wife and we used a tour guide. It was a... read moreAmazing! This was my third time to the Vatican but this time I took my adult/teen children and wife and we used a tour guide. It was a small group of 9. Just 2 families. She was great. She does this 4 days a week and all the guards knew her by name. If you want to see the Sistine Chapel, then you have to go early. We were one of the first to enter and with her connections basically did not wait on anything. We also entered a section in the Vatican Museums usually off limits to the public, a section with many animal statues and other mosaics. She gave us so much history and culture. My children said it was AP World History made real. You could tell she truly loved what she did. read less - 8/29/2022
- dvorahl2022Best tour ever. Martha was our guide. She is the best. They way she explained all , answered our questions give us all the information in every place all was wonderful. It was... read moreMartha was our guide. She is the best. They way she explained all , answered our questions give us all the information in every place all was wonderful. It was a very hot summer day and she always looks for ways to give us the information under the shade before we went into the sun. I highly recommend this company and Martha as well. It was very easy to make the reservation and pay. We took the private tour and was perfect. 3 hours that feel like Half hour . We didn’t do any limes to get into the places. Know that if you go by yourself or in other yours you could be up to 2 hours under the sun to get into the coliseum or forum. I highly recommend the private tour. read less - 8/05/2022
- michelleSheiowitzGreat Food Stroll with Luca We did the Trastevere Food Stroll with Luca B and he was great! Brought us to great authentic locations and provided his expert advice! We would highly recommend this tour... read moreWe did the Trastevere Food Stroll with Luca B and he was great! Brought us to great authentic locations and provided his expert advice! We would highly recommend this tour and Luca!! read less - 7/30/2022